Tuesday, 10 July 2007

After 5 years....

Well, after 5 years I have finally arrived at Craig and Marcel's place in Stasstad, Switzerland - it's about 20 mins by train from Lucerne (or Luzern as it's known here).

What stunning hosts they have been - and I've only been here for 6 hours!!

But to back track a bit first.

France - well, I've left there about 5 kilos heavier but with much improved language and somehow more luggage - although I have no idea as I didn't reallz buy anything apart from the aforementioned food.

I left the last blog in Provence - and it was the second to last day where we had a very groovy roadside diner lunch. We stopped at St. Cannat on the way back and the others went into a bar, I went to a chemist (any ideas what 'lipbalm' is in French?) and then found another bakery that had the most devine pastries - a full size don't mess about religeuse....

That night there were a few drinks around the pool - and thanks to Craig's heroic effort, which gave him the courage (is dutch courage the same as beer courage?) to go next door and rouse the neighbours - Anthony who was looking after the place and Nico - who yes, it transpired, were a couple and were really amazing and friendly to talk to. There was a mixture of french and english and we got there in the end. It appears that rents are horrifically expensive in France such that Nico was spending half his salary on rent. Maybe that explains why the French aren't all fat - we either didn't see them or they can't afford to eat all the cakes and pastries on offer!

I'm currently reading a reallzy interesting book - 60 million frenchmen can't be wrong - and it explains why there seems to be a 'culture shock' between the french and the americans (although I suspect it applies across the board). One of the tricks - and I guess it's what travel is all about - is exploring and experiencing different cultures and the way things are done. Often, it's really easy in France to get 'bad' service when, perhaps, it's more a different expectation of service or other such similar things. Having said that, I found the French to be really friendly and helpful - illustrated by Anthony and Nico who bought pizzas for us all on Friday night when it was us who invited them over. An example of different cultures - we ate each pizza (there were 4) one at a time; so that we could taste and experience each pizza - rather than the kiwi waz of dumping all the pizzas on the table and going for it!!

On Friday we went to Vaison La Romaine - beautiful, old, roman stuff, huge ice cream sundays and, unfortunately, the kitchen was closed so we couldn't have horse hamburgers for lunch.

After there it was into Carpentras for a look (beautiful, old, more drinks at an outside café) - I would recommend staying in the Valcluse part of Provence - it's just beautiful and old world!

That night as the last night in Provence - so just once I had a late night swim (in a lit pool watching fighter jets fly over) before pizza, packing and bed!

Saturday morning I dropped Peter off at the bus stop - having gotten lost again. Driving on the right is quite stressy (for me at least) and the road signs in France are not that helpful - maybe as you get used to them.... I would also suggest to anyone who was connections to the French roading department to tell them about cats eyes - there are none and the headlights all seem to be dipped which makes driving on a dark night all rather 'in the dark'.

After dropping Peter off, finding my way back to the house and finishing up it was off to Aix Gare TGV to wait for our train to Dijon. The TGVs are truly fantastic technology and Aix Gare TGV is an amazing building!!

Next was Dijon - I could wax lyrically about that city for ages - thanks to Craig for suggesting it. It's late here though - just turned midnight (well it was when I started typing this)and I need to get some sleep (and it looks like Paris the cat is going to keep me company).

So, Dijon - more amazing food (yep, I ate beef bourgignon in the city where it came from), patted the good luck owl, stayed in the centre of town, did the monuments by night tour (starting at 10pm - the tourist office in Dijon is well set up for visitors), a fantastic segway tour - I want a segway and I want one now; they are so much fun and just excellent, 5 minutes to get used to it and then you're away!! The Musee de beaux arts was just great, the getting soaked on Saturday night not so great. The shopping was amazing, the trip up the tour gave a fantastic view, the eidlweiss cake thing was to die for, the moroccan meal on the last night sublime (pastilla, tagine and pastries). There were lots of other things in Dijon like getting soaked when it poured on us (you try drying jeans in a hotel room), or sitting under umbrellas eating lunch in the rain, watching thunder storms, practicing my bad french, hanging out in beautiful parks - generally just having a truly fantastic time.

But, as with all good things, it was over too soon and on Monday morning it was my last french breakfast, check out of the hotel and then onto the TGV from Dijon to Lausanne, Switzerland.

I loved it in France, and could quite happily have stayed - and live there. But onwards and upwards as they say.

At some stage I'll have to be a bit more awake and have a bit more time and a proper keyboard and give you some thoughts, some philosophy on life, some insights maybe...

But, the last TGV trip - Dijon to Lausanne. There is no border control or even border that tells you you've passed into Switzerland - but the architecture changes and you start seeing Swiss flags everywhere. What a beautiful country though. As I was coming in, on the train, with some silly young girl who wanted to pull the blind down and not watch this amazing vista unfold in front of us....

And so started my time in Swizterland...

See my next post for that - but suffice to say I have been completely, utterly and totally blown away by this country, the people and especially Craig and Marcel... If there is ever such a thing as a medal for the host-with-the-most, these guys are at the top of the list.

Yah!!

No comments: